Duffcarrick Coastguard Station

 

Duffcarrick Coastguard Station

A nineteen century coastguard station situated west of Ardmore beach, subsequently moved to Dysert townland overlooking the bay, reportedly moved due to storm damage. Built in 1836 the station had accomodation for the coatguard members and families.

Griffiths Valuation of approx 1870 seems to indicate the following were living adjacent to the station in Duffcarrick. Combined with their surnames does this indictae these are the coastguard families?

Peter Greene

Samuel Pyle

Anne Lawler

John Jones

Albertine Zehender

There is a headstone in the roundtower graveyard erected by Samuel Pile, chief boatman of the coastguard, to three of his children who died in the 1840s. 

Address: 

Duffcarrick
ArdmoreWD
Ireland
Place type: