P35 Main Street, Ardmore, Waterford

 

P35 Main Street, Ardmore, Waterford

Groups audience: 

This property and the adjoining one were all part of the larger property next door which was a hotel. In 1916, the owner was William Harris whose occupation is listed as ‘Hotel Proprietor” in the 1911 census. The hotel was originally owned by Willoughbys who were succeeded by Ahernes. Harris was a veteran of The Boer War and took over the hotel approx 1908. He brought a sword home as a souvenir of The Boer War and if matters ever got out of hand in the bar he used the sword to clear the house. Two of the younger Harris' became Jesuits and a sister Ciss Harris worked for De Valera in The Sunday Press as a checker for The Sunday Press crossword.This was part of the larger property next door which was a hotel owned by William Harris. The hotel was a great centre of commerce and tourism in Ireland. Parties of gentry & British officers and indeed locals used to come from then far away Youghal and Cappoquin for dances and parties. Dances were held in the back garden on a stage. Ciss Harris, listed in the attached school register of 1916, was  a great favourite in the village. In the absence of the resident church organist, Kitty Gartland (Flynn), Ciss would be called on as ‘stand in’. Before the age of modern day music systems the entertainment was always provided either by the participants or the locals.The census night, 2nd of April 1911, must have been very quiet as no guests are listed as staying the hotel.In the 1911 census William Harris lived in the hotel with his wife Ellen and his sons William Joseph, John Francis and Richard Joseph and their Sister Ellen Mary. During World War 1 the SS Folia was torpedoed in March 1917  and the surviving crew (there being no passengers) came ashore in the ships life boats at the Boat Cove and they were subsequently lined up for roll call in front of Harris' Hotel. Clothing, food & footwear were hurriedly supplied by the local people. The only offerings the unfortunate crew could give in return were some conch shells they had salvaged from the ill-fated ship.  

Address: 

Ireland