Church

 

St. Berriherts RC Church

St. Berriherts Church. One of the upstairs windows was originally in the COI in Milford.

 

Church of Ireland Burial Ground

Currently the site of the community hall this was originally the location of St. David's Church of Ireland. The closing and replacement of the church requires more research as it will tell us much about social changes after the War of Independence.

 

St. Mary's Church of Ireland

St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Doneraile. This Church was established by Wm St. Leger in 1633 whose Castle was inside the wall opposite. William was the land Agent in Ireland for the Duke of Buckingham who was the most influential member at the Court of Charles 1.

Front rails and facade of the Presbyterian Church
 

Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian community started in Mountmellick around 1710, the community started meetings at a house on Patrick Street. Effects of 1798 rebellion and Penal laws reduced the numbers of congregation.

The Methodist Church in shadow and light
 

The Rev. Gideon Ousley Methodist Church

The beginnings of Methodist faith in Mountmellick started in 1748 with of John Wesley.  The first church was built in 1765 where the Masonic Lodge is currently built. The current church, named after preacher Rev. Gideon Ousley, was built in 1882 and this included a school until 1920’s.

St. Joseph's in evening sunlight
 

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Building of the church started in 1864 under the supervision of parish priest Very Rev.
 

Church of the Ascencion

Gothic style church, built from 1887 to 1890.

 

Trinity Christ Church

The present church may stand on one of the oldest church sites in Clanawley (the ancestral lands of the McAuliffe clan in the NW corner of county Cork). It has been purchased and is being developed as a centre for clan activities.

Top