A Capuchin monk Fr Gregory Conroy is refered to in a 1650s document as tending the countrypeople of Ardmore despite the Penal laws. The monks had a 'quasi-residence' at Hacketstown (Ring Parish) but covered an area measuring 20 miles in circumference (Canon Power 1937).
Power, P. (1937). Waterford & Lismore, A Compendious History of the United Dioceses. Cork: Cork University Press.