P26 Main Street, Ardmore, Waterford


P26 Main Street, Ardmore, Waterford

Groups audience: 

“Seaview”  1916 -  Keating’s

Keating’s & Foley’s The last house in the row, along the street, was also owned by John Foley. By 1916 it had been partly converted from being just a store house for the shop next door,  to be used as a dwelling for John’s other sister Mary Cecelia. She had married Richard Keating, a National School teacher, from 1897 to 1910, in the old school (now demolished) beside the RC Church, when he took a position in Co.Kilkenny. However, the Keating family (Richard & Mary with their sons Jack and Tom and daughters Anice (see photograph), Clare and Mary;  all born in Ardmore) continued to spend all their holidays there afterwards and all were in Ardmore that Easter with the exception of their eldest son Jack, who was with the South Irish Horse, in France.  

Foleys shop on the left & Seaview on the right. Date??

In the 1911 Census this household and that in the shop next to it, are shown to be all one family unit because there were still  some interconnecting doors between them.